Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Lets Hear it For the Boy

Keep It Oldskool Movie of the week




*Disclaimer* Before I start I want to say there will be men of my age (42) and older who will  say "naw I never saw that" My man yeah you! We all know you saw it so stop it!

Footloose was released in 1984 and was directed by Herbert Ross. The movie starred Kevin Bacon,Lori Singer, John Lithgow and Diane Wiest. The movie followed the tried and true 80s movie formula which meant it was a crowd pleaser.

The movie follows big city transplant Ren (Bacon) who moves to a small town where of course like most 80s movies there are not many brothers and sisters. The town has an ordinance that bans rock music and dancing. Ren who enjoys both initially tried to fit in. The town preacher's (Lithgow) daughter Ariel (Singer) of course catches his eye. There is also a town bully that Ren must face down. Ren gathers most of the kids in the senior class to petition the town for the right to have a senior prom. What is an 80s movie without and music montage or dance number? In this movie we seen Ren (or better yet his stunt double in some shots) flip and dance around in the "I'm frustrated so  I have to dance"  part of the movie (Many times this author also gets frustrated and jumps into his yellow VW Beetle to find an abandoned factory to dance in) Footloose ends kind of the way you would expect it to but that doesn't diminish that despite there are no African Americans to provide the break dancing portion of the finale it's still a good but not great movie





This movie is also known for it's soundtrack. There were songs by Kenny Loggins (who has to be 100 by now) "Footloose", Bonnie Tyler "I need a hero" and of course my favorite "Let's Hear for the Boy" by Deniece Williams. There was a remake made in 2011  It wasn't  very good but they made it. This movie launched Kevin Bacon a Philadelphia, Pa native into stardom. Whenever I am channel flipping and I see that it is on I admit that I do stop and watch a bit of it. Don't you?

KEEP IT OLDSKOOL 

No comments:

Post a Comment