Wednesday, January 29, 2014

"Caspering"


KEEP IT OLDSKOOL PRESENTS :

"THE CASPER FILES"
 (Stories behind some of verses delivered by but NOT written by some well known MCs)


MC Lyte "Self Destruction" (verse by L.L Cool J/KRS/MC Lyte

 MC Lyte: "You know what that’s an interesting question. During the process of the recording of that song a lot of people were in the studio so you were getting a lot of input like, “Yea, that’s hot!” or “Let’s make that better [like this].” The rhyme I wrote myself had a lot of statistics like, “One out of every…” and I think they wanted it to be a little cooler. They were like nah Lyte you don’t want to hit them with statistics that may not be interesting enough for them. So I remember at the time Kris (KRS-ONE) and LL were in the studio with me and L came with a rhyme. By the way that wasn’t the first time “funky fresh” was used he used it in one of his records before. That kicked it all off. Once he said it both he and I went to work on what would turn out to be one of the prolific verses in the record. He didn’t write the verse it was me, LL and Kris. As we went through the rhymes it was more like how can we make this the hottest thing we can make it. Why LL wasn’t on the record I don’t know. Maybe he had made a conscious decision not to be. In the end he wound up being apart of it just not one of the people on the front lines."

 For Full Interview see
( http://halftimeonline.net/blog/mc-lyte/ )

KEEP IT OLDSKOOL 






No comments:

Post a Comment