Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Look what turned 30

30 years ago today 

"King of Rock" LP back cover


Recorded in 1984 when Hip Hop was on it's way to becoming a phenomenon. "King of Rock" the sophomore LP that was the follow up to the the 1984 self titled debut called "Run-D.M.C" found the "Kings from Queens" ascending to the zenith that would be achieved with 1986's "Raising Hell".  King of Rock was a album that the group embraced the global appeal Hip Hop was gaining. With songs like the title track "King of Rock" Run-D.M.C declared (especially with the video for the song) that Hip Hop and Run-D.M.C especially were not taking a back seat to ANY musical genre.



The group was cocky and unapologetic.That was Hip Hop. Gone were the clothes(Spikes, elaborate costumes)  that were favored by the groups before them. The group took their cue of dressing from Jam Master Jay. In an instant everyone was walking around with no shoestrings and leather blazers with Adidas jackets under them.  The album also included a James Todd Smith (L.L Cool J) penned song that spoke about their growing fame. "If I eat a little kid sticks his finger in my plate I'll be signing autographs for 3 months straight" Also coinciding with the with the release of "King of Rock" was the movie "Krush Groove" which told a loose story of the origins of the Def Jam label co-headed by Run's brother Russell Simmons






The album peaked at #52 in the Billboard Charts Top 200 and was #12 in the Top R&B/Hip Hop charts. The album also contained to my mind the greatest Run-D.M.C song ever made. When I say that I do not mean by how many records it sold because this song was never released as a single. It was Krush Groove 3 aka "Darryl and Joe" The song showcased everything that epitomized Run-D.M.C. There was Run being his braggadocios self "Got credit in places I never been cause the records I write are in the top 10"  There was D.M.C sharp with the lyrics "In my pocket I'll keep on stuffin when I say I'll beat em up I won't be bluffin they can't beef cause that ain't nothin" and for the finale Jam Master Jay scratching for the last 3 minutes of the song.




On this day we also celebrate the birthday of the late great Jam Master Jay. Gone but never forgotton. King of Rock is a snapshot in time of what Hip Hop was in 1984-85 and it still stands up well against todays Hip Hop.

Chuck Da Original Oldhead 

Happy Birthday to King of Rock 




No comments:

Post a Comment