Friday, March 14, 2014

The Life

(from the Achives column written for SUAVV Magazine) 






  You hear it said all the time “You/We are kicking it Oldskool” Lets take a moment to reflect on that. When you say “OldSkool” people think many different things. I am here to advise on the OldSkool Lifestyle.



 Musically OldSkool is the music that the second it comes on it automatically transfers you to a state of mind of remembering where you were the first time you heard that song or the dances that you did when heard that song (The Wop, The Prep, Poppin, Breaking etc). I have watched as Hip Hop  went from “Hotel, motel Holiday Inn if your girl starts acting up then you take her friend” (SugarHill Gang 1979) become “I’m a tear you apart but I’m a spare you a heart program into the speed of the rhyme, prepare to start” (Rakim Lyrics of Fury 1988) and become what it is now.  I remember a diverse spectrum of artists and groups from the La Dream Team, Spoonie G, RUNDMC, Nas, Fat Boys and many more. There were stage shows that were stage shows (Doug E Fresh stepping out of a spinning globe and Rakim sitting in a pyramid)  Concerts then did not have a 10 people on stage all holding microphones.





 Culturally Oldskool is a bit different. It encompasses many different things. Oldskool in culture is more about a state of being and a way of looking at things. In my Oldskool mind state I can see how sweat- suits have made a big return. I understand how Adidas Originals sell more then the new Adidas outerwear (they should have never got rid of the leaf). I see how they young ones have decided to try ‘box haircuts. I do not classify wearing skinny jeans as Oldskool. My reason being as a teenager I admit to wearing jeans that were not very baggy. The difference being there was not a choice (baggy or skinny) and we did not purposely look for jeans that fit like leg warmers.







With Oldskool being so hip now a lot of companies who decided it was time to change and move on have lost out. Do you think IZOD would have separated from Lacoste if they knew that those little alligator shirts would come back in a big way? On any given day you can see sneakers that have come back or have always been in the “rotation” You have the Adidas Superstars aka “Shells” also Adidas “dug in the crates” and pulled back out the Patent Leather “Top Tens”) Fila is re-releasing their original sneaker, Puma is bringing back the “Clyde’s” and even the “Bo Jacksons” have returned for Nike. Now more then ever before OLDSKOOL is a lifestyle. When you see me in my Sergio Tacchini sweat suit with the matching sneakers you’ll know what I mean







Oldskool is a lifestyle ... MY Lifestyle I am Chuck Da Original Oldhead "watch my FRESH"




No comments:

Post a Comment