Saturday, February 1, 2014

Next up I believe thats me

Keep It Oldskool Presents

"The Symphony spot"

Much has be said about how Masta Ace got a spot on one of the greatest posse songs ever made "They Symphony" on Marley Marl's In Control Volume 1 album. Keep It Oldskool  is starting a new series of columns regarding the hidden stories and rumors regarding classic songs and albums.


Masta Ace gave an interview in 2008 to www.grandgood.com and stated:

 "It was recorded in ’88 at Marley Marl’s townhouse in Astoria, Queens. Everybody assumed that it was planned out that the four of us [Kool G Rap, Big Daddy Kane, Craig G, and Ace] were going to be on it, and it was going to be a classic record. But MC Shan was actually supposed to be the fourth MC on that song. But since he was a bigger name at that time than all of us, he felt like it wasn’t a good career move for him to be on this record with a bunch of new artists"




 MC Shan also spoke of the matter in a 2012 interview with www.hiphopdx.com he specifically addressed Masta Ace saying Marley said Shan thought "it would be a bad look" to be on the song

 "Let me address that. I know this is something old I'm touching on," he shared in the interview. "What y'all gotta understand is I knew Marley Marl and I've done songs with him that I didn't get paid for. So, I can understand Ace for listening to that crap Marley was tellin' him but if y'all know me, I was never one to say nothin' on the side, behind your back. If I felt something about you, I was gonna say it to your face." 
"It wasn't because Shan didn't wanna be on that record that Ace got a spot. Ace got a spot because he held his own," he added. "If he couldn't hold his own, he wouldn't have been on that record. So, Masta Ace, big shout to you for holding your own. But, all that that Marley told y'all was lies."





Marley Marl dismissed anything MC Shan has said on the Symphony situation as well as that Marley taking credit for beats he did not make (For years there have been rumors of Marley taking credit for beats such as "My Melody" by Eric B and Rakim) in a 2012 interview with www.sohh.com

 "To all the Juice Crew fans and who have loved our legacy for all these years, I'm real sorry that you have to see this go down," Marley said in a video. "To the other kids who don't know who this dude is in the background, this is MC Shan. He used to be one of the top rappers in the '80s down with the Juice Crew. ... As for me not making the records, come on man -- You saw what happened to all the artists after I wasn't producing their sh*t no more? I don't have to go there. I get to them every day on the radio. My skill levels right there, people see where I'm at so I doubt anybody believes that bullsh*t. This just comes from years of bitterness, drug abuse. Drug abuse and bitterness don't mix. This is what happens ladies and gentlemen"



Most Oldskoolers have the same opinion in this matter beef, luck, ego etc The Symphony is still one of the greatest songs in Hip Hop history

 
 
KEEP IT OLDSKOOL
 
Chuck Da Original Oldhead





 

No comments:

Post a Comment