Monday, December 9, 2013

Nothing to Do

 Bored.com 


  "I am bored there is nothing to do dad" My 15 or 13 year old sons will say to me on day like yesterday in Philadelphia.(snow storm) As I sit on the couch and watch football and they feel the need  to disturb me I decide to tell them what their dad and aunts did when they were bored. It’s not like we had Xbox 360,Playstation 3,Wii and over a million movies to watch (as they do). I had to break it down gadget by gadget.

 Xbox 360, PlayStation etc- In our day our games were called Atari, Intellivison and Collecovison. The graphics were terrible compared to today's standards especially Atari whose basketball game looked like this
File:Basketball Atari 2600 screenshot1a.png

And Football that looked like this :
Atari Football.jpg


Movies to watch (DVDs first run movies) Cable Tv -In our day at most there were 2 VCRs in the houses (parents room and living room) and the price of about $200-$300 they were not to be touched by the 13-15 year old as we may break something "you know you can’t pay for") .Unlike now when a movie that was out 6 months ago (and was popular)  it did not come out on tape for years. We did have some cable channels but not 7 HBOs, Showtime and Starz and a network that played classic cartoons all day long (Boomerang) 
  
File:Nordemende spectra V100.jpg

Vintage HBO Logo


 Now we get to the part where the boys looked at me like I had just asked them to spell "supercadufradulistic". I told them about card games, Uno, I declare war, Go fish etc. I regaled them with knowledge of games like Sorry, Connect Four and even Checkers. Of course they did not understand how we sat there and played "those games".



The great game of Sorry! Parker brothers old game
  Lastly I tell them that our imagination was also something we used on boring rainy days. And even I went "full on Urkel" on them and told them they could try reading a book. Im sure all who are reading this can understand how my suggestions and anecdotes went over with my sons. So the next time your children try to tell you how bored they are now or that there is nothing to do you can use the same strategy that I did or you could just tell them to clean their room


As Always Keep It Oldskool






No comments:

Post a Comment